Welcome to the Centre Harbor Historical Society!
The Centre Harbor Historical Society was founded in 1971, under the guiding force of Gladys Bickford (1911-1997). Its mission is to collect and preserve objects and facts of historical interest to the town of Center Harbor, NH. The Society also participates in projects designed to preserve or improve the Town's historical image. There were 52 Charter Members at its first meeting; now, there are 148 members.
The Centre Harbor Historical Society is a careful and attentive steward of the historic Center Harbor Village Schoolhouse, which is listed on the New Hampshire Register of Historic Places. The Historical Society is housed in the Village Schoolhouse, which is owned by the Town and leased to the Society for $1 per year. Children began attending classes in this one-room schoolhouse in 1886. A second room was added in 1902. When the Town's 8 school districts were reconfigured into 3 in 1930, grades 4 through 8 were held here. In 1970, the school closed. Now it is the Schoolhouse Museum and contains the Society's collection of documents and artifacts. It is open during July and August on Saturdays from 10am to 2pm. It is located at 94 Dane Road (Route25B), a short walk from the Town docks, past the Kona Fountain and the Nichols Library.
The Centre Harbor Historical Society hosts educational programs of historical and cultural interest at its meetings on the 4th Thursday of the month from April through October. These programs are open to the public and are offered free-of-charge. Donations are greatly appreciated. (The 2017 Program Calendar will be available in March.)
The president of the Historical Society serves on the Center Harbor Heritage Commission.